Surveying, Mapping and GIS

Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development and enterprise architecture...

  • Geospatial Technology, End to End...

    Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development, enterprise architecture and policy

Never know what you might discover...

Posted by Dave Smith On 3/03/2007 10:14:00 PM 2 comments

I have to admit, I am a Google Earth junkie, and as a technocrat, I have multiple machines at my desk. When one is going to be sitting semi-idle or running background tasks for any period of time, I sometimes fire up Google Earth on it, zoom in to a low altitude, put a slight angle tilt on the view, and set it at a lazy drift over some semi-randomly selected countryside.

Periodically, I will stop and sit in amazement at some of the scenery. Ancient ruins, meteor craters, breathtaking landscapes... the lunar landscape of the Libyan desert, you name it. I also periodically check out the goodies that sites like Google Earth Hacks have, as well as some of the other sites that track not just Google Earth, but other sites featuring imagery.

Google Karten tracks Google Maps, and picked up one of the more amazing things I've seen in a while... A cruise missile, captured in-flight over Utah...

2 Response for the " Never know what you might discover... "

  1. It certainly looks like a cruise missile, and I will admit that I got pretty excited by the idea. But a posting on Google Earth Blog suggests that this is just a jet with dark wings.

  2. Indeed... the wings are visible. Had us all going for a bit there :)

Search