Surveying, Mapping and GIS

Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development and enterprise architecture...

  • Geospatial Technology, End to End...

    Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development, enterprise architecture and policy

The "Hate-To-Say-It-But-I-Told-You-So" Department...

Posted by Dave Smith On 3/06/2006 05:52:00 PM 2 comments

I previously posted about my concerns about Mac owners smugly professing to be running a much more secure OS than Windows... My thought being that it wasn't that OSX couldn't be hacked or infected by viruses, but rather that nobody really took the time to try, that it simply wasn't as attractive a target as big and mighty Microsoft's offerings... That it very likely also suffered from its own share of bugs and vulnerabilities (and it does).

Turns out my suspicions have been vindicated - Turns out a "smug Mac owner" put up a server running OSX boldly challenging folks to hack it - and the rest has been ugly. Hacked and defaced within 30 minutes. The tune has been rapidly changing...



Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , ,

2 Response for the " The "Hate-To-Say-It-But-I-Told-You-So" Department... "

  1. Anonymous says:

    I hate generalities elaborated from relatively single events, but as a long time mac user trying to be neutral ;-), sorry, Linux/MacOSX are really more secure. You just have to use one for a few months, you'll understand why... :-)

    Cheers!

  2. I've been proven wrong enough times to shy away from making any sure bets as you seem to want to.

    I'll admit, while I've used OSX, I'm not a regular user. On the other hand, I've been a regular Linux user since '97... There are Linux distributions which are geared for security, and there are Linux distributions which have poor security that a user has to tweak themselves.

    Similarly, there are crashes and stability issues with some installations of Linux, whereas I had one Windows box that ran flawlessly with an uptime of over 5 years without any crashes or need to reboot.

    I'm just suggesting one should shy away from hype, stereotypes, assumptions and broad generalities when it comes to stability and security, because you too may be proven wrong.

Search