Surveying, Mapping and GIS

Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development and enterprise architecture...

  • Geospatial Technology, End to End...

    Exploring all aspects of mapping and geography, from field data collection, to mapping and analysis, to integration, applications development, enterprise architecture and policy

Why blog?

Posted by Dave Smith On 1/07/2006 01:28:00 PM 0 comments


Jeff Thurston at Vector One posted some thoughts on categories of bloggers, and this has elicited some soul searching from others in the geoblogging community- Jeff suggests, the categories of bloggers are:

1. The Commercial Blog: Written with a financial view - sensitive to causing maximum financial return and oriented toward causing a stir to attract readers. Blogging for financial gain alone is different than blogging as a columnist, for example.

2. News Bloggers: Basically scanning the news and re-writing what already exists. Original content is low. Regurgitated content is high.

3. Original Content Blog: Strives for original content, links to existing content in exceptional circumstances to support original content. Opinionated. Perceptive.

4. Advert Blog: Sharply written to look like a blog but serving as advertisement. Usually easy to pinpoint over time.

5. The Blog Aggregators: This is a special group. I like them myself.
Planet Geospatial, slashgeo and Journey with GIS are three good examples. They capture the entire geo blogging web at any given time.

Which of these am I? I don't think fit any of them completely, but if anything I am closest to 3.

I try to present original content, however consider myself to be someone who doesn't completely work in a vacuum. I don't avoid other sites, sources and info, however I do avoid regurgitation of the same-old.

I am involved in projects that may be similar to some other geobloggers' work, however I also have a background in and am involved in a lot of types of technical and business areas that most GIS folks aren't normally exposed to. Having been involved in GIS since 1985, along with extensive technical experience in a number of related fields, I sometimes have perspectives, thoughts and knowledge which I at times see lacking in the GIS community.

Although I read some of the other Geospatially-oriented blogs and sites, I also read a lot of apparently independent and non-GIS sources, and have my own inside sources of information for some things as well. I'm not hesitant to post about something other bloggers are discussing, provided I have my own spin on it, or at least some value added. And, I do occasionally come across news items that I find are interesting to share with the community, provided nobody else has already done so.

Now WHY do I do it? Not entirely sure, but probably most for interest in a spirit of community. While I mainly work in the DC beltway, I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, notorious as a "black hole", where if I talk to someone about things like GIS, GPS, remote sensing, spatial analysis, tracking and tracing of high value goods, they tend to quickly get a glazed look, however the blog can allow me to share with the community, vent, opine, contribute, and more importantly elicit feedback and conversation from all around the world.



Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , ,

0 Response for the " Why blog? "

Search